Sunday 4 September 2011

The Father's Heart - 2 Samuel 18 - 19: 8

 2 Samuel 18:33 (NIV)
[33] The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept. As he went, he said: “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son!” 

I could never understand why King David grieved over the death of his rebellious son who was planned a coup to overthrow his reign. Should he not have been more like his general Joab who plunged the darts into Absalom's heart and rebuked David for weeping?

In my re-read I'm struck that I never saw previously how David was expressing our Heavenly Fathers' heart. God watches us in our daily rebellion against Him. We put ourselves up as king of our own lives and force Him out of our lives. Yet, His first response is not to punish us but grieve over our choices and actions that lead to our own destruction. Daily He calls us return to Him and His love.



How little I know of my Heavenly Father's heart.

There's so much more to learn about being a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment